Today we will discuss the five love languages and money – how do they relate and how does that relationship show up in your life? Understanding this connection will be great for your relationships, your marriage, your personal understanding of what you need, and how you respond to money decisions.
Love Languages and Money
1. Quality Time
- If quality time is one of your love languages, you respond well to uninterrupted time together.
- In relation to money, you prefer for money to sit in your bank account, untouched and unassigned.
2. Receiving Gifts
- People whose love language is gift giving feel a sense of care when they know someone thought about them, and that feeling is tangibly immortalized.
- Of all the love languages, this one in relation to money is pretty intuitive – buying and receiving gifts. Keep in mind, those gifts don’t necessarily have to be tangible objects – it can be a shared experience.
3. Physical Touch
- If your love language is physical touch, small gestures go a long way; hugs, a pat on the back, holding hands, and thoughtfully touching your loved one on the arm are all ways to show concern, care, and love.
- This one in relation to money is interesting – physically touching money!
- That might look like writing checks, having cash in your wallet and paying with cash rather than using a card.
- You can also spend money on things that fulfill that physical touch need, like a massage, a pedicure, etc.
4. Acts of Service
- Anything you can do to ease the burden off of someone with this love language is encouraged – running errands, helping out with household chores, etc.
- When it comes to money, people with this love language feel most supported when their partner has enough to pay for such services that make their life easier.
- That might look like hiring a lawn care service to mow the grass so they don’t have to or someone to come clean your house.
5. Words of Affirmation
- If words of affirmation is one of your love languages, actions don’t necessarily speak louder than words. You might enjoy hearing those unsolicited, unprompted compliments from your partner.
- When it comes to money, you probably like talking about it!
- You probably enjoy communication regarding finances.
- You’ll look forward to those emails from PayPal or Fidelity and conversations with your financial advisor. Similarly, you might bring up the stock market with your friends at social gatherings.